I love candy. I love it. And I love chocolate, and cookies, and cake, and ice cream. But more than anything else, I love doughnuts. This page is dedicated to all the enablers I know, who fill my life with doughnuts and other sweet, gooey, goodies.

Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Clearly more than just candy

The enabler brought me another treat from the farmer's market today. Strange sweet crouton type things covered in milk chocolate. Of course, I tried the candy first, but then I began the routine inspection of the packaging.

You know, we Americans are really lazy when it comes to candy packaging and marketing. Snickers really satisfies? Boring. Reese’s packaging hasn’t changed since I was a kid. Very late 70s. What we lack, Japanese candymakers clearly have. I mean, what could this package possibly mean?

Let’s start first with just what these little candies are supposed to look like. Here is the front of the box and the bag from inside. There are lots of trees and little houses and birds. Another clue – there’s a monkey wearing a graduation cap on the back of the box (that should help). My guess is acorns, or perhaps pine cones. Any other guesses?

Here’s the insde of the box. What in the world is this? I gather it’s some kind of lottery using this guy’s face instead of sunshines and apples. He’s laughing, he’s crying, he’s got a really bad haircut and nothing but a head. I’d love to play this game. Apparently, I could win 1,000pg or something. I could drop out of school, cash in my acorn-bucks and live in the lap of luxury.


1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

For all those eager to know: They are supposed to be baby bamboo shoots - a delicacy, of course. Kind of like a Japanese version of artichoke hearts.

7:38 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home